Thursday, November 08, 2007

The Christmas Spirit

So Starbucks officially put me in the holiday spirit this year. I tend to get mixed feelings about the holidays because at my house, they are never 100% enjoyable. I do love Christmas and this year I will do what I can to always find the positive. It's hard to believe that Thanksgiving is only 2 weeks away, which means Christmas isn't far behind. I have a lot of work ahead of me for all the gifts I have to get done, as well as Christmas cards. It's a good thing this craft stuff is an outlet for me :)

I was raised knowing that Christmas decorations didn't go up until the day after Thanksgiving, so we could truly focus on being thankful before jumping into the next holiday. This being said, I tend to shut out all of the Christmas decorations and goodies for sale that are already saturating every other part of my life. This was hard to do as I walked into Starbucks this morning. They FINALLY have my mucho-favorite Peppermint Mocha back on the menu (a drink, sadly, I have to do without the rest of the year, although that's another story), so it's hard to drive by every morning without stopping. I make it a point to go inside for my morning coffee, thanks to my husband for getting me out of my box, as it's fun to talk to the people--helps get me going in the morning. As I pulled into a parking spot this morning, I noticed all the Christmas decorations in the windows, and tried to ignore them, as usual. As soon as I walked in, I knew I could fight it no longer--the Christmas spirit was taking over. All the awesome goodies to buy, decked out in red and white, along with new breakfast goodies, I knew it was a losing battle. I felt like a kid in a candy store with all the fun things they have this year, and knowing I was going to enjoy my favorite drink helped a little too :) All this to say, Starbucks officially kicked off the holidays for me this year. They kicked my butt into gear--this weekend will be full of crafts--Christmas cards, gifts, decorations--whatever strikes my fancy. It was hard to not bust out the Christmas music, but I will hold off on that another 2 weeks. I can't wait to start putting up our decorations in our very own house. It's an exciting year, and thanks to my mom knowing exactly how I think, we even have a cheesy ornament that says "First Christmas Together 2007".

Happy early Holidays.

No comments: